Wednesday, August 7, 2013

About-Me Cullinary journey begins

I am a bong and I am foodie. From my childhood I used to watch my mom cook her mouth watering delicacies. As a famous Bengali proverb says "Ghumie achhe shishur pita sab shishur i antare" (lines from Sukanta Bhttachaya's poem) I have always lived with a dream of cooking like my mom and also excel in that.

I got my first chance of  cooking when I was in college. My mom had a fracture on her right hand. That time I cooked for a whole month under my father's supervision and mom's guidance. I made so many dishes everyday and also when my elder sister visited us that time I have made two/three special dishes. One was Chhatur Barfi. It tasted so nice. Got lot of appreciation that time. I have to try that now once. I almost forgot the recipe.


During my university days I cooked once or twice in my friend's and private tutor's place. Kajol da, my teacher, a scholar but a very humble person, was very close to me. He used to call me "Bonu" (Sis). I feel really lucky to have a teacher like him. After our studies we used to have a chat session accompanied with chop-murhi or Beguni or sometimes Belgharia-Dumdum's station road special Malpoa. When exams were approaching we used to have a 8-10 hour study session at his place. We used to have our lunch together. Sometimes mom used to pack my food in a lunch box but being a foodie used to share Dada's food as well. There sometimes we (Me, Pritha) have cooked together in his rannar masi's absence. It seemed like a feast rather than a study session to us. I was helper actually that time being novices at cooking. I remember the lovely taste of machher jhol, lentils, alu bhaja and also begun bhaja etc.  Also remember cooking at my friend's hostel cum mess. They used to stay in a privately owned home rented to college/university  students. One winter afternoon we planned to visit the book fare but that day  their cooking help did not turn up.
I with my friend made chicken kasha and rice. We ate a sumptuous meal that gave enough energy for a long walk in the book-fare. I really miss those days badly.


Later when I moved to Delhi, I  initially used to stay at my elder sister's place. There I have cooked once luchi/puri. They were very small in size. My bro-in-law used to teach me that i cooked for dolls not for real persons. I started cooking in week ends one or two dishes to help my sister. My brother in law had immense interest in cooking. I still can feel the taste of his "cream chicken".  Didi was good in making Delhi side dishes like aloo-paratha, muli paratha, gobi paratha. Then I have started staying in company guest house in Noida Sec-28. The place was beautiful and so was the accommodation. Seeing all the other girls cooking and staying by themselves all alone I got my encouragement and started my cooking journey. We used to share our food and eat together most of the time. Being the only non-veg cook in the hostel my dishes were in high demand and heavily appreciated.

Then as any other girls' journey goes on, I got married and my cooking journey elaborated full fledged. Although I cook daily, I don't get bored of cooking. Rather I like to add on varieties to our regular food, try different cuisines, make traditional recipe with a twist.


In this blog I will write about my culinary experience. I will write about the recipes and post pictures of the foods I cook. In this blog you will find recipe of very simple food  to festive delicacies. I don't want to post only restaurant style cooked recipes but recipes that were cooked by my mother, grand mothers and are almost forgotten. I need your blessing, love, and support to make it a success.


No comments: